ILLUS. 3. If John has x marbles, and his brother gives him 5
marbles, how many has he?
ILLUS. 4. If Mary has x dolls, and her mother gives her y
dolls, how many has she?
Addition is expressed by coefficient and by sign plus(+).
When use the coefficient? When the sign?
1. Charles walked x miles and rode 9 miles. How far did he go?
2. A merchant bought a barrels of sugar and p barrels of molasses. How
many barrels in all did he buy?
3. What is the sum of b + b + b + etc. written eight times?
4. Express the, sum of x and y.
5. There are c boys at play, and 5 others join them. How many boys are
there in all?
6. What is the sum of x + x + x + etc. written d times?
7. A lady bought a silk dress for m dollars, a mu® for l dollars, a shawl for
v dollars, and a pair of gloves for c dollars. What was the entire cost?
8. George is x years old, Martin is y, and Morgan is z years. What is the
sum of their ages?
9. What is the sum of m taken b times?
10. If d is a whole number, what is the next larger number?
11. A boy bought a pound of butter for y cents, a pound of meat for z cents,
and a bunch of lettuce for s cents. How much did they all cost?
12. What is the next whole number larger than m?
13. What is the sum of x taken y times?
14. A merchant sold x barrels of °our one week, 40 the next week, and a
barrels the following week. How many barrels did he sell?
15. Find two numbers whose sum is 74 and whose difference is 18.